Thursday, January 11, 2007

Soft Synth galore!

One of the reasons I hanker after the mighty Mac Pro is that software is the only thing I can (a) afford and (b) find space for.

As this reality starts to bite down on me I have been trying to find solid alternatives to hardware synths. Don't get me wrong - I would love to have the hardware. There is nothing like that spread of keys and sliders and knobs and stuff. Unfortunately it is expensive - very expensive - and takes up loads of space (not to mention power, etc, etc).

And I would dearly love some old analogues but hey, I know I can make a good job if it with a computer and software. Even much maligned software like Reason I have found to be very capable of great sounds. Like everything, it is just a case of applying yourself to the task.

Of course there are lots of seemingly well regarded software out there. I have been looking at Dimension Pro, Ultra Analog, WusikStation and Zebra.


Currently I am not in a position to acquire all these goodies, and mac desires not withstanding I have acquired WusikStation. First impressions were not good! It crashed!

I have not done much as yet with WusikStation - my feeling grot kinda precluded any real efforts by myself to get to know it better. So that will be one of my first tasks.

Native Instruments STILL haven't got their collective arse in gear and made a download update to Absynth 4. I suppose I will have to get a box. Sigh. Wasteful isn't it?

Wups - I really must read stuff more carefully. The download update for Absyth v4 is in fact now available. Apologies to NI - you did get your collective arse in gear!

No comments: